If you are struggling to make your house payment or have missed one, there are still steps you can take to avoid foreclosure on your home. The following are tips for avoiding foreclosure from the HUD government website.
1. Don’t ignore the problem.
2. Contact your lender as soon as you realize you have a problem.
3. Open and respond to all mail from your lender.
4. Know your mortgage rights.
5. Understand foreclosure prevention options.
6. Contact a HUD approved housing counselor.
7. Prioritize your spending.
Depending on your financial situation, a short sale may also be a good option for you.
View HUD website for more information on avoiding foreclosure, the foreclosure process and your options.